Religious tourism

Calugara Monastery

Dedication day: Virgin Mary's Veil (1st of October)
Address: Ciclova Montana, Caras-Severin district

It is said that a hermitical establishment existed close to Calugara Monastery. In 1859, a cave was discovered together with the relics of a nevoitor saint and a Holy Virgin’s Icon-wonder-working (facatoare de minuni), that is been said to have been brought from Saint Mount Athos.
The starets of the monastery is the hieromonk Alexie, believer from Ciclova Montana, who, impressed by the spiritual richness of the place, established a monastery. Calugara Monastery, as a historic monument, is build from brick and stone having a roof of metal tile, the construction being made in Baroc style. The nave of the Monastery holds a coffin with the hermit relics which were discovered inside the cave in 1859. Three years after this discovery, in 1862, the hermit cells were built and in 1907 a veranda was added. The churh was renovated in 1942.



Vasiova Monastery

Dedication day: St. Ely (20th of July)
Address: 27, Dognecei, Bocsa town, Caras-Severin district

The history of this hermitage starts in 1897 when the believer Nicolae Dragila from Romanian Resita, being a wealthy man for that time, donates part of his valuable possessions to Calugara Monastery. The reason for this action was his will to set up an institut for girls education and to raise another Monastery on Gladinova Valey. Unfortunately, in 1902 he dies but his will is accomplished with great dedication by hieromonk Macarie Gusca. Due to his efforts, in 1903 starts the builing of Vasiova Monastery, near Bocsa city.
In 1938, at the initiave of Caransebes Episcopate, a construction in L form was built, with one floor, where the Sisters’ cells had been positioned as well as the weaving mill, the carpets, the materials and the knitted work.
The old iconostasis and the altar were painted by the painter Stefan Ionescu in 1947 but only after 1989 the Monastery seemed to have been awaken to start a new life.



Slatina-Nera Monastery

Dedication day: Pious Paraschiva (14th of October)
Address: Sasca Montana commune, Caras-Severin district

The key-stone of the Church was settled at 14th of October 1994.
At Mr Dr Chirila Ioan suggestion, Saint Synod of Romanian Orthodox Church approved through the decision number 3866 of 19th of July 1994 the setting of this Monastery.
The first three Sisters arrived in automn 1994 and started to gather financial and material support needed to perform the construction in a Moldavian style.
One year later started also the construction of the Sisters’cells.



Almaj-Putna Monastery

Dedication day: The Transfiguration (6th of August)
Address: Prigor commune, Putna village, Caras-Severin district

The initiative for the construction of this monastic establishment at the periphery of Putna village in Almaj Valley, belongs to Luca Zavoianu, son of the respective village who donated also the necessary land. The fondation was placed at 6th of august 1996.
At the beginning of March, 1997, Father Sava Gana came to this monastic establishment bringing with him also some apprentices. Father Sava became an Abbot and started to manage the hermitage. During the first two years, their home had been the villagers’ houses. Today, the Monastery has become a beautiful household with fish pools and the clerical life is carried on following a genuine monastic path.



Brebu Monastery

Dedication day: Virgin Mary's Veil (1st of October)
Address: Brebu commune, Caras-Severin district

Brebu Monastery can be found on the principal road that connects Caransebes city to Resita city, between the 2 towns Brebu and Soceni and it is surrounded by a small plateau of marvelous beauty.
In 1997, at the initiative of the local powers of government ran by Mr Ioan Pacurariu together with the help of Toma Itariu’s family that donated 2 hectares of land and some other believers from the villages in that area, the foundation of a monastic establishment was set up in a place called "Valea Popii” (The Valley of the Priest).
The building of the hermitage was done step by step starting with a modest wood building where few cells have been located. In autumn of 1997, the key stone for the small Church up on the hill was settled together with the other units of the construction which was done in a rectangular form.

Teius Monastery

Dedication day: The Assumption of the Holy Virgin (15th of August)
Address: Caransebes city, (passing through Teius park, cross the railway in North-East direction around 3 km away), Caras-Severin district

The history of this monastic settlement starts with the approval of the Diocesan Council and Diocesan Assembly in autumn of 1998. Allpious Father Justinian Tibil was named Father Superior. Father Rusalin Simeria and his son Petru, from Caransebes, donated one hectare of land and soon after, Ioana and Mihai Tomescu family donated another hectare.
The building of the wood Church started at 15th of August 1999 following the style from Maramures.

Piatra Scrisă Hermitage

Dedication day: All Saints Sunday
Address: Armenis commune, Caras-Severin district

There are lots of myths about this hermitage past. Tradition says that when the railway Caransebes-Orsova was built, the tunnel had to be placed, according to the plan, where an icon had been paint. But the believers opposed to this due to the fact that the icon had a rich spiritual significance for them and they could not let it be destroyed. As a consequence, the engineer had to modify the initial plan and deviated the tunnel towards Armenis, few meters at the west side of the icon. Grigore Dragomir, the mayor of the town in that period had a very important saying: " We and especially the deceased Priest Ilie Sarbu told him that the icon and the place are sacred as they are for all Romanian believers (trecatorii de lege romaneasca) and we never pass besides them without uncover our heads and cross ourselves”.
Other myths say that the icon has miraculous origin. Thus, it is said that once upon a time, a Christian army commander being followed by the Ottomans, fell with his horse from the summit of the hill till Timis River and escaped unharmed. Grateful, he ordered the Holy Trinity to be painted on the rock.
The first documentary proof of Piatra Scrisa appears to have been written on a military Austrian map in 1788, where the rock of Holy Trinity had been marked. The icon was restored in 1882 by painter Moise Buru Scriitorul, from Caransebes. Later on, in 1929, Vasile Dragomir from Slatina Mica, together with his wife Ana, built a chapel in memory of their deceased daughter.
The Bishop of Caransebes decided in 1930 to construct a one floor house to accommodate the monastic staff and a steeple. Therefore, a small settlement was set up being named Piatra Scrisa Hermitage.
There are unquestionable testimonies that this place has been blessed, that even wonders had happened. It is said that children and old people with different health problems have been healed after praying and touching the Icon. Those healings are well known in the region and maybe this can be one explanation why the name Icoana or Iconia for women is so spread in this place, otherwise a very rare name.
The miraculous power that passes through the Icon is well known also by the Catholics from the region and they also come to pray in this blessed place. A new Church has been built here, at Piatra Scrisa Hermitage and at the moment the construction of some new cells is in progress.



St. Ely Hermitage on Muntele Mic

Dedication day: St. Ely (20th of July)
Address: Muntele Mic Resort, Caras-Severin district

In 1935, at the initiative of the companies in Electromechanics industry from Timisoara city, the first chalets were built. The resort could not remain without a prayer dwelling for tourists and inhabitants of the respective place. Therefore, in May 1937, the idea to build a Chapel were all the spiritual ceremonies to take place on Sundays and during holidays was born.
The key-stone was placed by the Archpriest Isaia Suru, Archpriest Administrator of Caransebes. The building started immediately and the construction went so fast that the Church was finished in October, 1939. The interior design was also ready before the Christmas of 1939.
The Hermitage is located at 1550 meters upon the sea level being built from carved wood beams. It has 9 meters length and 8 meters height and the dome has 20 meters height.
The interior was done in Byzantine style and all the objects inside are hand carved in oak wood. The Consecration was realized by the Bishop of Caransebes, Dr. Vasile Lazarescu, on 1st May 1940. Near by, a house for the monks has been built and today this settlement is used by the mountain rescue team.
The mural painting is the creation of Elvira Dascalescu and her husband, from Bucharest, and was done in the 70’s at the coordination of His Eminence Dr. Nicolae Corneanu, Metropolitan of Banat. The painting of the catapetasma belongs to Simion Bacala.
The Church was hallowed for the second time on 20th of July 1980 by His Holiness Dr. Timotei Lugojanul, Archpriest to the Archbishop of Timisoara.
Today, with the care of His Holiness Lucian Mic, the Bishop of Caransebes, new cell units are being built in the North side of the Church.



St. Ely Hermitage on Semenic Mountains

Dedication day: St. Ely (20th of July)
Address: Valiug Commune, Resort Semenic, Caras-Severin district

The natural beauty of the place determined some people with good faith to build in 1945-1946, with rock and iron foundation, a wood church in Maramures Style. The initiative to form an Hermitage belongs to Mr Alexandru Papp, engineer and director of Plants and Domains of Resita Company, as well as to other believers from Resita and other places.
The project was created by the architect Gheorghe Raureanu in 1943. The interior of the church measure 11, 90 meters length, 5, 40 meters width and has an elegant and harmonious tower of 20 meters height. The dome is fixed by a metal framework in order to better resist to the strong winds and frequent storms characteristic of the place.
The church has a ship form composed by the altar, the naos, the pronaos and a small entrance hall. The catapetasma is of wood but only the imperial doors are carved and only the Holy Apostles Icons are painted.
After the political events that took place in December 1989, the hermitage administration had been transferred to Priest Hieromonk Porfirie Nica, from Saraca Monastery. In short time, he succeeded to solve the necessary procedures and started the construction of a building formed by 6 cells, kitchen, refectory and a guest chamber.

Bogaltin Hermitage

Dedication day: Saint Apostles Petru and Pavel (29th of June)
Address: Bogaltin Village, Cornereva commune, Caras-Severin district.

The foundation of the Church was settled in 1949 and the building process was coordinated and realized by Ioan Radulescu (Principal Ktitor), Nicolae Canicean, Gheorghe Sorescu, Lazar Draghicescu and nun Nimfodora Ghergulescu, all from Bogaltin.
The Church has been built from stone and brick having a cross form and the construction is composed by the altar, the naos, the pronaos and an exterior porch propped up by 10 small pillars. The interior has 10 meters length and 5 meters width and the ceiling is tempera painted. The Catapetasma is made of lime tree and has three rows of Icons. Two windows lighten the altar and another one lighten the naos and pronaos.
In front of the Church another building has been built from stone and brick and it accommodates the abbey, three cells, a kitchen and the refectory.
The Church was hallowed in 8th of July 1959 by the Metropolitan of Banat, Vasile Lazarescu.

Poiana Marului Hermitage

Dedication day: The Ascension of Christ (40 days after Jesus Resurrection)
Address: Maru Commune, Poiana Marului Resort, Caras-Severin district

Several shelters belonging from the religious point of view to Maru Parish had been located where Resort Poiana Marului can be found nowadays. Due to Vicar Priest Dorel Fercea’s initiative together with the help of the believers from the respective region, a Chapel had been constructed near the cemetery. Starting with 1990, more and more holiday houses have been built there so it became necessary the existence of a Church.
On 12th of August, 2000, the first Holy Liturgy was officiated in this Church and the place was entrusted to the monks in order to raise a Monastery.
According to this, a new Church was built and only two years later, it was almost ready. The architecture follows the Byzantine style and the paintings and oak carved catapetasma are still in construction.

Gornea-Sichevita Hermitage

Dedication day: The Entrance of Virgin Mary in the Church (21st of November)
Address: Sichevita Commune, Gornea Village, Caras-Severin district

The Hermitage is located 200 meters away from the principal road towards Moldova Noua town, where the crossroad that indicates Gornea Village is located. The idea to build an Hermitage belongs to Archpriest of Oravita, Mr Pr. Ioan Varan and to the mayor of Sichevita Commune, Mr Gheorghe Birtea. As a consequence, they took the necessary steps to move there the border guards and in May 2001, the first inhabitants came: nun Macaria and nun Anastasia Grapean from Patrunsa Hermitage situated in Valcea district. During the following year, a chapel was built inside the main building where the rooms of the guards have been located together with an abbey and five cells. In 2002 other constructions joined the previous ones: a refectory, a kitchen, a guest chamber for the believers and another 2 cells: one for the Priest and the other for 2 nuns. In 2003 the key-stone for a new Church was settled and today it is almost finished. The Hermitage plays an important role in the renewal of the spiritual life in Clisura Dunarii region.

Baile Herculane Hermitage

Dedication day: The Birth of Virgin Mary (8th of September)
Address: Nicolae Stoica de Hateg (Dobosanu Villa)

Caransebes Episcopate received a villa as a donation in 1925 from Dobosanu Family but in 1925 it was taken by the communist regime finally arriving to be used for tourism. It is one floor building with over 40 rooms that had come to a condition of advance degradation. In 1998, the villa was ceded back to Caransebes Episcopate that decided to use it as a social and religious set, to become a place for spiritual life, rest and treatment for Clergy and believers with lower financial possibilities.
As a result, the first nuns arrived there helping also to finish the renovation of the building. Great support came also from the Diocesan Centre, from the Archpriest of Baile Herculane as well as from some persons with good faith.
The daily divine service- a custom for the monastic life- is performed in two of the ground floor rooms where a Chapel has been arranged.
 
minim width